- Notes from the Librarian
- Educatioal websites you can visit
- By Yvonne Sligh
- The Mendocino College Library has six internet terminals available
for students to use. Web pages have quickly become a standard source for
research material for college papers as well as just for personal interest.
Here are a few pages you might want to visit.
- Dogpile http://www.dogpile.com/ is a metasearch engine that will
search the major engines all at once (Yahoo, Lycos, Magellan, Infoseek,
Webcrawler, Excite, Altavista and more) and give you the top results from
- Louisiana State University's Webliography http://www.lib.lsu.edu/weblio.html
is a great starting place for research on a subject.
- The Press Democrat's Research on the Web site http://www.pressdemo.com/library
is a research tool for journalists but students can make use of it as well.
It features links to all sorts of great research and reference tools.
- For news, there are many good sites. The ones I use most are:
- · New York Times on the Web http://www.nytimes.com/
- · CNN site http://www.cnn.com/ and for local news
- · KGO's page http://www.kgo.com/
- If you need help with your language homework, a great site to know
about is the AltaVista translation service http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/
The page gives you a window in which you can type text, then ask for
a translation into French, German, Italian, Portuguese or Spanish. I've
tried it and the translations are good.
- Don't miss the home page for the Library of Congress http://marvel.loc.gov/
This is a window to a wonderful assortment of links and resources.
- For fun, get your biorhythm daily from the Facade page http://www.facade.com/attraction/biorhythm
It could explain why you're not having a good day.
- Remember - when doing research on the Internet, think of the Net as
one resource, not the only resource. If you don't find what you are looking
for right away, ask for help - and don't spend an hour on the Internet
looking for some statistic or simple fact that could be found in a couple
of minutes in a book!
Return to Index
for this issue | Eagle Home
own comments about the College and the EAGLE
Webmeister: Mike Oliveria
Email: Mendocino College
Last Update: 5/3/98